The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul (SVP) is a worldwide organisation whose main aims are:
- Tackling poverty in all its forms, through the provision of practical assistance to those in need.
- Providing Support and Friendship, through direct personal contact and home visitation.
- Promoting Self Sufficiency,
- Working for Social Justice.
The local branch (conference) of the SVP provides assistance in the following areas:
- Helping with household bills
- Providing shopping vouchers for the local SuperValu
- Sponsoring holiday breaks for less well-off children and elderly
- Assisting those unable to meet education costs
- Liaising with the local MABS (Money Advice and Budgeting Services, who
- provide a free and confidential service for people in debt or at risk of getting into debt).
The Palmerstown SVP Conference meets fortnightly, but can be contacted, at
any time, via SVP Head Office (01 8550022) and, if necessary, a home visit will be
arranged within a couple of days. All contact with SVP is strictly confidential.
The generous support of parishioners provides much of the funds for the work of
the local conference. This support includes personal donations as well as supporting
the Monthly Church Grounds Collection and the annual indoor Church Collection
If the need arises, funds are also available from head office.
New members are always welcome. Please contact SVP Head Office (01
8550022), if you are interested in getting involved.
Website for SVP in Ireland: www.svp.ie